Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bullfrog: A hike without Rhino...

is like a day without sunshine.

Seriously, Rhino had to be out of town and two other guests bailed on me. So, Robert and I went instead on June 19-21. We hiked from Snicker's Gap (Route 7, Bear's Den) to Chester Gap (Route 522) just southeast of Front Royal. It was the same section Rhino and I had done in hikes #2 and 3. Rob and I did about 11 miles the first day, about 17 miles the second day, and coasted to my car on Sunday around 11 am with about 6 miles for a grand total of a little over 34 miles. Not bad. Then I went to the farm and fished all afternoon and got a sunburn on my legs.

Highlights:
  • It rained Saturday morning, but then cleared up. Not nearly as much water through there as Hike #3.
  • Sunday was Father's Day and also the First Day of Summer, also known on the AT as Naked Hiking Day. We saw only one naked hiker, a dude with bandana strategically placed on the waist-strap of his backpack, so we didn't see any of his junk.
  • We camped at the top of the hill just south of I-66. There was a wonderful meadow at the top ... laced with poison ivy.

No comments: